Re: [css-ruby] Should CSS Ruby be consistent with HTML5 Ruby?

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014, kawabata taichi wrote:

> Currently, the HTML specification for Ruby is on the way of revision in
> new github branch by Robin (https://github.com/w3c/html/tree/new-ruby),
> and it will be incorporated into the new Ruby Extension Spec
> (http://darobin.github.io/html-ruby/) and eventually into HTML5.

For the record, I think this is a huge mistake. It doesn't actually
address any more use cases than the HTML standard, at least not any listed
here:

> ruby use cases (http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby-use-cases/)

All it does is make the brief transition period mildly better for users of
legacy browsers in some less common cases, while dramatically increasing
the complexity of the markup. This is bad for authors.

The HTML standard's approach uses common HTML conventions like nesting to
handle the same use cases while keeping the overall markup language's
surface area smaller, which makes it easier for authors to approach.