Re: [css-syntax] ISSUE-329: @charset has no effect on stylesheet??

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 14:47:30 +0000
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
CC: 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On 07/01/2014 23:31, Simon Sapin wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/329
>> @charset has no effect on stylesheet??
> I rephrased the note to clarify that the parse @charset at-rule that
> shows up in CSSOM and the @charset byte sequence that provides a hint
> for the stylesheets’s encoding are not the same thing.
> Only the former "has no effect on stylesheets".

It's a little clearer what you meant now, but it still seems rather odd.

I don't think it's true that "The @charset rule has no effect on a
stylesheet.", otherwise why would you use it at all, and how would you
detect the fallback encoding?

I think it's better to say that the @charset rule has no effect on a
stylesheet *if* it is preceded by a byte-order mark *or* if the
stringent rules about its appearance and position in the file are not
followed (which iirc is about what we used to say).