Issue and resolution tracking

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 21:04:20 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi,

Iíd like to talk about this at the next face-to-face in Seattle.

I think we have too many ways issues and resolutions get
reported/recorded and tracked.

* This www-style mailing list
* In-spec issues
* Tracker
   https://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/
* W3Cís Bugzilla
   https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?product=CSS
* Various text files in the Mercurial repository
* Various wiki pages
   http://wiki.csswg.org/spec
* Maybe others that I havenít discovered yet?

Most (not all!) of our specs recommend sending feedback to www-style.
Here is what I read about this today, from two different people.

> few people seem to keep close enough track of mailing lists to ensure
> that everything gets resolved

> /me assumes www-style is as reliable an issue tracker as /dev/null

While "/dev/null" is exaggerated, there definitely has been relevant
feedback that is now lost in the listís archives.

Iíve also seen WG consensus and a resolution recorded years ago to do
something that hasnít happened yet, because we forgot.

I donít mean to blame this on anyone, but we can do better. What Iíd
like to happen is that we pick one system for collecting feedback, track
issues, and record resolutions. The mailing list doesnít count. If the
entire group can not agree on which system to pick, at least have one
(no more!) per spec (chosen by the editors) and point to it from the
spec headers.

Cheers,
--
Simon Sapin