Re: [css-masking] editorial changes - spec update

On 12/17/2013 04:19 AM, Dirk Schulze wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2013, at 1:04 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> I consider http://dev.w3.org/fxtf/masking/issues-lc-2013.html#issue-24 to be fixed unless their is an objection.

  # Clipping Path Source: the clip-path property

Would recommend s/Clipping Path Source/Clipping Shape/. The word
"Source" makes me think this is a reference to something; but in
many common cases it won't be, it'll be an inline shape. Also
wanted to introduce the word "shape" since "path" is in the property
name. This makes things easier to find. (E.g. Text uses "Tracking"
to point at the "letter-spacing" property so that both terms are
up front.)

  # Rectangular Clipping: the clip property

This makes me think that if I want a rectangular clip shape,
I should use 'clip'. But that's not true. For one thing, 'clip-path'
also does rectangles. For another, we don't want anyone to use 'clip'
because it's deprecated! I'm not sure what to put as a title here,
but it should not mislead people looking at the table of contents.
And maybe throw in the word "deprecated" there, e.g.
   Quirky Clipping: the deprecated 'clip' property
(But please come up with something better than "quirky".)

  # The clipPath element

This one should be titled "Clipping Path Source" :)

  # The mask element

Similarly, "Mask Shape Source" would make a good title here.

Alternately, or additionally perhaps, it might make more sense
to add the word "Source" to the top-level section, e.g.
   SVG Clipping Path Sources
   SVG Mask Sources
That would make it clear that these sections aren't about applying
clipping/masking to SVG, but sourcing it from SVG.

  # Masking Type: the mask-source-type property

I would call this Mask Interpretation or Mask Image Interpretation.
"Type" is very vague, and this is more accurately described as
specifying how to interpret the mask data.

  # Masking Type: the mask-type property

Same here.

  # 6.1.1 Clipping paths, geometry, and pointer events

I think this section goes under the main Clipping section
that defines how clip paths are applied to an element, not
how their geometry is defined by an element.

~fantasai