Re: [css-masking][css4-background][css-images] 9-part sliced images (was: [css4-background] 9-part slicing images in background-image)

On Jan 3, 2014, at 8:06 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-01-02 at 21:40 -0800, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> [...]
>> Ok, I see. This is not about implementing 9-slice scaling; you're defining
>> a new image function that can do everything that border-image does (which
>> includes 9-slice scaling)
>>
>> You probable want to add the 'fill' keyword as well [1]
>>
>> 1: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-backgrounds/#border-image-slice-fill
>
> If border-image were to be extended I'd for sure want to see more
> traditional 16-part border images (plus middle) - they are like the
> 9-part we have now but with centre images in each segment, and allowing
> the extensible parts between corner and middle to differ on each side of
> centre:

Liam, searching for "16 slice scaling” gives no results for 16 slice scaling but exclusively for “9 slice scaling”. I fear that 16 tiles is too complex to handle for authors anyway. I am not even sure which graphics tool does support 16 tiles today. Do you have more information about current support for 16 slice scaling in productive tooling?

Greetings,
Dirk