Re: [css-writing-modes] Rename extent/measure to block-size/inline-size?

On 2014-02-28 16:58 (GMT) Simon Sapin composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> On 2014-02-28 10:58 (GMT) Simon Sapin composed:

>> Measure and extent as used imply single measurement results, single lengths,
>> not areas (sizes) resulting from measurement of two lengths.

> http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/extent?q=extent
> defines "extent" as "The area covered by something: an enclosure ten
> acres in extent", which doesn’t sound any more one-dimensional than "size".

This is the one I looked up before my prior reply, why I wrote "as used":
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/extent?s=t
"extent ...
1. the space or degree to which a thing extends; length...scope...
2....a particular length..."

Regardless of the uses to which "extent" may be put according to
dictionaries, I find size to be a poor substitute for it in the realm of CSS,
where dimensions of various objects and their interplay have such an
prominent role.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/