Re: [selectors-nonelement] ::attr(*|localname), ::attr(ns|*), and ::attr(*)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 08:53:52 -0800
To: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Cc: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 2:16 AM, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:
> On 26.2.2014 15:16, Simon Pieters wrote:
>> * Selecting all attributes is inconsistent with the universal selector
>> when a default namespace is declared.
>
> I repeat once again, that default namespace doesn't apply to attributes
> so I don't see here any inconsistency with universal selector which
> applies to elements. I would consider opposite behaviour as inconsistency.

Again, the inconsistency is internal.  "*", when used in type
selectors, is just a wildcard tagname.  It acts identically wrt
namespaces as a real tagname does.  "*", when used in ::attr(), should
work the same, and be identical to a real attribute name wrt
namespaces.

Your suggestion is that "*" act *differently* than a normal attribute
name, so that it assumes "all namespaces" while a normal attribute
names assumes "the null namespace".