Re: CSS3 lighten/darken suggestion

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:59:14 -0500
To: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Cc: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>, www-style@w3.org
On Wed, 2014-02-26 at 08:56 -0800, Garrett Smith wrote:
> what about breaking out the components?
>
> Saturation, brightness, and opacity. are generally the components I
> care about. Not sure about hue, but why limit?

For print you generally end up wanting to manipulate CMYK + "spot"
colours (i.e. 4 basic inks plus a list of 0 or more custom colour inks
that you asked the printing house to use for the job).

For my part I've always wanted to be able to request a minimum contrast
level - especially in a user-agent style sheet. I'm not sure how that
might look as a CSS rule though.

Liam