RE: [shadow-styling] Named parts, styling built-in form controls, and shadow styling (was Re: Goals for Shadow DOM review)

From: Domenic Denicola <domenic@domenicdenicola.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:47:05 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
I agree that this approach makes sense and is a good potential route. However, what I was initially wondering was: can we just use existing shadow DOM constructs? E.g. could you style the slider with

input[type="range"] /shadow/ .slider-thumb

?

> I really like how the syntax is parallel to the engine-native form controls case, but simultaneously the syntax doesn't imply that the engine-native form controls are built with Shadow DOM.

I am coming at this from a slightly different perspective. How can we make shadow DOM not just a look-alike, but an actual layer in the layering scheme?

> Imagine I wrote something about the Extensible Web Manifesto here.

;)