Re: [css-position] New position value: Mixture of absolute and relative

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:34:50 -0800
To: David <david.email@ymail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM, David <david.email@ymail.com> wrote:
>>> a new position property value would be great to see in a new spec update
>>> (http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-position/):
>>> A mixture of the absolute and relative position property value,
>>> which behaves like the relative value but doesn't affect the normal
>>> document flow like with absolute.
>>>
>>> Currently such a rendering behavior is just possible
>>> by adding the parent element a relative position and the child the
>>> absolute position, but why such a detour?
>>>
>>> Here an example of what should be achieved by a new position value:
>>> http://jsfiddle.net/UZLUS/4/
>>
>> Let me express this in slightly more technical terms, just to make
>> sure I understand it:
>>
>> You want a value that takes an item out of flow, like
>> position:absolute, but interprets the trbl properties as offsets from
>> the item's static position (like relpos) rather than as offsets from
>> the containing block (like abspos)?
>
> Yes, you understand it correctly.

All right.  I support this, but I think it needs to be done properly,
by splitting apart some of the 'position' functionality.  I sketched
an early form of this on my blog some time ago:
<http://www.xanthir.com/blog/b48H0>

When fantasai and I pick up the Positioning spec
<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-position/> I expect we'll define
something like this, so you can mix-and-match some of the features of
the different 'position' values.