Re: [selectors-nonelement] First draft of a new spec for selecting non-element nodes

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 08:02:10 -0800
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 8:47 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk
<news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
> Otherwise we need to mention cases like this:
>
>   input[type="number"]::attr(type) { content:"text" }
>
> etc.  Either we need to treat ::attr() as first-class pseudo-elements
> or left them shine in DOM methods or libraries like jquery.

I did mention that, when I said that ::attr() pseudo-elements never
generate boxes.  Thus "content: 'text';" has no effect on them.

They *are* first-class pseudo-elements.  Pseudo-elements don't need to
generate boxes to "exist".

DOM methods that evaluate selectors don't currently allow
pseudo-elements.  When they do, they'll do so in a generic way that
reflects ::attr() pseudo-elements as well.