Re: [css-counter-styles] question about API

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is a very reasonable point. I agree with you that it is easier for
> developers to use this API if it returns initial value for unspecified
> descriptors. I thought there should be a way to distinguish whether a
> descriptor is explicitly declared, which seems to have no sense.
>
> (Oh, I changed my stand the second time...)

Well, I'd like to change my stand again. I still think that we should
provide a way to check whether some descriptors are specified.

In the 'override' system, unspecified descriptors should inherit the
value from the corresponding descriptor of style it overrides instead
of the initial value. If the system is 'override' and the initial
value is returned for unspecified descriptors, it is unable to know
whether a descriptor is unspecified, or specified with the initial
value occasionally. Or do you want to return the inherited value
directly? I don't think it's a good idea since it requires to parse
another style to generate the values.

Consequently, my suggestion is that, if a descriptor is unspecified,
for 'system' descriptor, yes, the initial value can be returned, while
for other descriptors, null should be returned.

Regards,
Xidorn Quan