Re: [selectors-nonelement] First draft of a new spec for selecting non-element nodes

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2014, at 4:40 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Although entirely valid in Selectors used in the scope of CSS,
>>>  attribute node pseudo-elements never generate boxes.
>
> Doesn't that have more to do with the restrictions of HTML than of CSS? Some other theoretical XML-based document language could use CSS to create boxes out of attributes, couldn't it?

Pseudo-elements in CSS always select, well, pseudo-elements, with
the purpose to define some properties of them. By introducing ::attr() we
create precedent of defining selectors not for CSS realm.

If someone need to select attributes (why not text/comment nodes
too by the way?) then it is matter of writing trivial functions like:
document.queryAttribute = function(elselector,attribute) { .. }

Otherwise we need to mention cases like this:

  input[type="number"]::attr(type) { content:"text" }

etc.  Either we need to treat ::attr() as first-class pseudo-elements
or left them shine in DOM methods or libraries like jquery.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com