Re: [selectors-nonelement] First draft of a new spec for selecting non-element nodes

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 6:16 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk
> <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Daniel Glazman
>> <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:

>>> I recommend turning
>>>
>>>   In CSS, attribute node pseudo-elements never generate boxes
>>>
>>> into
>>>
>>>   Although entirely valid in Selectors used in the scope of CSS,
>>>   attribute node pseudo-elements never generate boxes.
>>>
>>> and adding your example as a Note or non-normative example.
>>>
>>> </Daniel>
>>>

>> Why "never" by the way?
>>
>> I can imagine something like this:
>>
>> input[type=number]:empty::attr(placeholder) {
>>   display:block;
>>   color:grey;
>> }
>
> What is this supposed to do?

When <input type=number> is empty show
content of the 'placeholder' attribute in its place
with the given styling.

>> be quite useful. Or this:
>>
>> img:incomplete::attr(alt) {
>>   display:block;
>>   color:red;
>> }
>
> Same here - what is this supposed to do?

When image is incomplete (failed to download or in progress)
show content of its 'alt' attribute in its place.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com