Re: [selectors-nonelement] First draft of a new spec for selecting non-element nodes

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 17:37:19 -0800
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Daniel Glazman
> On 13/02/14 21:14, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> While I could certainly add it as a note, it's not needed normatively.
>>  Would that be okay?
>
> I recommend turning
>
>   In CSS, attribute node pseudo-elements never generate boxes
>
> into
>
>   Although entirely valid in Selectors used in the scope of CSS,
>   attribute node pseudo-elements never generate boxes.
>
> and adding your example as a Note or non-normative example.
>
> </Daniel>

Why "never" by the way?

I can imagine something like this:

input[type=number]:empty::attr(placeholder) {
  display:block;
  color:grey;
}

be quite useful. Or this:

img:incomplete::attr(alt) {
  display:block;
  color:red;
}

that may require position:absolute to be defined
for such blocks (with host element to behave as
positioning root).

"never say never", no?

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.