Re: [selectors-nonelement] First draft of a new spec for selecting non-element nodes

On 13/02/14 19:16, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> That sentence makes no mention of it being invalid in CSS, and I'm
> strongly against Selector syntax being officially valid only in some
> contexts.  Browser implementations might not ever *implement* this
> selector, but if they do, it should be recognized in CSS as well.  (It
> just doesn't do anything.)

"doesn't do" is too underspecified for me. We need to know if this is
going to create a empty rule in the OM, a non-empty rule in the OM
with specified values available, or nothing at all. I suspect there
will be some resistance from browser vendors to create an OM instance
if it's never used by the layout. I'd love to be proven wrong but
honestly, I would completely understand the footprint argument. After
all, we still don't store unknownrules or comments in the OM, and that
explanation is a part - only a part but still - of the reason why we\
don't.

</Daniel>