Re: [css-flexbox] element vs box

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 17:21:36 -0800
To: Peter Moulder <pjrm@mail.internode.on.net>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 3:07 AM, Peter Moulder
<pjrm@mail.internode.on.net> wrote:
> This isn't CSS2.1; please make distinction between elements and boxes.  It
> makes a difference, especially as flex items are defined as the children of
> flex containers (so what things are flex items depends on whether we're talking
> about element child relation or box child relation).
>
> Section 4 in particular seems very confused about this: it says that the
> computed value of 'display' is based in part on whether something is a flex
> item (implying that it assumes that flex items are elements), but then in the
> next sentence says that flex items are boxes; and later says that table anon
> box generation occurs before things get promoted to flex items.

We've gone through the spec and reviewed every instance of "element",
and think we've fixed all of the element/box confusion.  Please let us
know if we missed anything, or if anything doesn't make sense.

(There's still a latent box/fragment confusion in the spec, but for
now Flexbox doesn't define fragmentation behavior, so that's moot -
every box generates only a single fragment.)

~TJ and fantasai