Re: [css-counter-styles] question about API

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 6:26 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a question that, if one descriptor is not specificed in rule
>> declaration, should the corresponding attribute return the initial
>> value defined for the descriptor or an empty string?
>
> Hmm, I'm actually not sure what the best behavior is.  The closest
> similar rule, @font-face, doesn't define it at all either:
> <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-fonts/#om-fontface>
>
> I can go with either null, empty string, or initial value.  I'll let
> the group decide which makes the most sense.

Since the current draft says the getter must return a DOMString
object, maybe we can only choose from empty string and initial value.
In fact, from the implementation from Mozilla, I found it is hard to
return a null for a typed attribute. For this case, I prefer empty
string.

Xidorn Quan