Re: [css-flexbox] concepts of baselines

On Monday 2014-02-10 12:59 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> > http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#flex-baselines has a bunch of
> > text about how CSS 2.1 doesn't define the baseline of block and
> > table boxes, etc.  However, it misses a distinction present in the
> > underlying concepts.
> >
> > If CSS 2.1 defined a baseline, it would need to define *two*
> > concepts of baseline, a last-line baseline concept used for
> > inline-block and inline-table baseline alignment in
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#propdef-vertical-align
> > (which also uses the bottom edge for overflow != visible, and which,
> > for compatibility, uses the first row of a table), and a first-line
> > baseline concept used for table cell baseline alignment in
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#height-layout .
>
> Just to make sure I'm reading this right, you're saying that we need
> to define the last-line baseline for flexbox and the other things in
> that section?

Probably, at least if we agree that it's inline-table that's the
exception rather than inline-block being the exception.  (I think we
discussed this once, and I don't remember what the consensus was,
although I tend towards thinking inline-block is the better
behavior.)

Although that spec clearly isn't the right place for the global
definitions.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,