Re: [css-text] Arabic letters connecting between elements with display: inline

From: Lina Kemmel <LKEMMEL@il.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 16:24:02 +0200
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "public-i18n-bidi@w3.org" <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, "'WWW International'" <www-international@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> Browsers differ in their behavior. Simon Montagu suspects FF only
connects if
> they are using the same font (face, style, and weight).

IE8 and Safari (at least) show the same behavior.

==============

> A reasonable switch might be whether there is positive
padding/border/margin
> between inlines. It seems unlikely that joining behavior is desired
across
> a non-zero margin, or that block elements would be inlined together
without
> either whitespace or margin/border/padding as a separator.

Arabic shaping implies not just connecting letters, but also replacing
code
points and/or glyphs. I think the latter (reshaping) should be done
regardless
of presence of paddings/borders/margins. For example, one could put a
margin to
emphasize the first letter.

However, padding/border/margin could trigger joining or disjoining in
other
cases, e.g. for combining character sequences.

Lina