Re: [shadow-styling] First Draft of Shadow DOM Styling uploaded

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 11:05:59 -0800
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 8, 2014, at 12:09 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 11:51 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think it would be simpler to just use the child selector to get to the top level children. Thus,  example 1, 'x-foo /shadow > span' would select #top, and 'x-foo /shadow span' would also select #not-top.
>>
>> You can't chain combinators like that.
>
> Or what, the world ends? Open your mind. This is is a special thing, and it can have special rules. Don't think of it exactly as a combinator if that is what's holding you back.

This isn't supposed to be a special thing.  Don't multiply entities
unnecessarily; if we can do things without inventing new fundamental
concepts, we should.  I'm especially against inventing things that
"arent' exactly combiantors" - getting *close* but to *exact* to an
existing concept is a recipe for confusion.