Re: [shadow-styling] First Draft of Shadow DOM Styling uploaded

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 23:51:10 -0800
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

> On Feb 7, 2014, at 7:24 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've uploaded the first draft of Shadow DOM Styling, the spec I
> intended to write a few weeks ago, to
> <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/shadow-styling/>.

I guess the difference between /shadow and /shadow-all is that /shadow only selects the top level children of the tree root (aside: "Children of the Root" sounds like a horror movie).

I think it would be simpler to just use the child selector to get to the top level children. Thus,  example 1, 'x-foo /shadow > span' would select #top, and 'x-foo /shadow span' would also select #not-top.

I guess this means I'm just seeing <"shadow-tree"> more like an unstylable element that has to be in the selector chain as 'shadow' if you want to reach its descendants. In fact, if it didn't have quotes, it could even just be selected like an element, rather than as something that only a new combinator or pseudo-element can reach through. But I don't see how any of this is worse, syntax-wise. It seems simpler.