Re: Encapsulation and defaulting to open vs closed (was Re: Shadow DOM Encapsulation)

On 2/6/14 8:44 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> It's been clear.  I just thought, and still think, that given our past
> experience with XBL it's a mistake to scope the problem as you have.

I should clarify.  That's my personal viewpoint, not necessarily
Mozilla's position.

I also think that rescoping the problem to the one I'm particularly
interested in, which would be type 4 in Maciej's typology, means not
getting anything for a while, because the primitives involved (multiple
globals, cross-global security membranes or separate worlds or something
else along those lines) are simply not there right now in the platform.
  Several browsers have some versions of it, but even those  disagree
wildly on how that sort of thing should work.  And I mean the security
engineers involved, not just the implementations.

So while it would be nice if we all had focused on type 4 encapsulation
a few years ago and actually driven through the bits needed for it, I
don't think we should be holding up web components for it at this point.
  Especially because I'm not sure how much others care about type 4
(e.g. Maciej is not very interested in it).

-Boris