[css-sizing] "Intrinsic" extent?

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 17:32:35 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Hi,

Section 4.3 "Intrinsic Sizes of Non-Replaced Blocks" says:

> The min-extent contribution and max-extent contribution of a
> block-level box is the extent of the block after layout, plus any
> block-axis margin, border, and padding.

"After layout" requires having chosen a used measure, which typically
comes from the context. This does not sound "intrinsic" at all, given:

> Intrinsic sizing determines sizes based on the contents of an
> element, without regard for its context.

I havenít yet figured out the implications of this on various layout
modes, but at least this spec should stop pretending and not call
"intrinsic" things that are not.

--
Simon Sapin