Re: [CSSWG] Minutes Seattle F2F Tue 2014-01-28 PM II: Flexbox, <br>, Serialization and Shapes

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 18:26:22 -0800
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 02/04/2014 01:18 AM, fantasai wrote:
>   TabAtkins: There's another issue, but we don't understand it well yet
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/issues-cr-2012#issue-23
>   TabAtkins: dholbert thinks Chrome's behavior is more sensible than
>              Firefox's in this case. We haven't quite figured this out yet
>   TabAtkins: So won't bring it up now

So, a few points on this issue (issue-23) that will hopefully make this
easier to understand:

(1) I think the clearest summary of the problem is here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Oct/0741.html
...with this testcase:
http://people.mozilla.org/~dholbert/tests/flexbox/can-stretch-affect-main-size-2.html

(2) If it helps, here's an extremely stripped-down version of that^
testcase's markup:
  <!DOCTYPE html>
              width: 200px; border: 2px dotted black">

(3) FWIW: We changed Firefox to match Chrome/Opera (and hence disagree
with the spec on this point) as of version 28, which is currently in
Beta. This is partly why I'd like the spec to see this addressed in the
spec. (by making it more explicit that "align-self:stretch".

(4) As noted towards the end of my original message on this topic...
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Aug/0360.html
...I think all we need here is a slightly expansion on what the
consequences are of a flex item having a
definite-cross-size-by-virtue-of-being-stretched.

(In particular -- to get this "correct", the item's cross-size property
needs to to be treated as having the "definite" value in any trial
layouts that we do, **even though** they're before the point where the
flexbox spec says to explicitly handle 'align-self: stretch'.)

Thanks,
~Daniel