Re: Encapsulation and defaulting to open vs closed (was Re: Shadow DOM Encapsulation)

On Feb 6, 2014, at 4:17 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:
>> So I think the debate is not so much whether Type 2 can be added later as much as its being considered a future and therefore ‘nice-to-have’ feature instead of a ‘must-have’ default. Tab suggests you started from the latter point of view before reality pushed you to the former. Looking forward to hearing more on the how and why...
>
> Reread the thread at
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/thread.html#msg312>

The only use case that was provided in that thread is Google Feedback being able to render components to a canvas. Pardon me if that does not seem like a sufficient reason to abandon having even the option for stronger encapsulation, or even just flipping the default.

Regards,
Maciej