Re: [css-flexbox] Honor percent heights on children of stretched flex items (when flex container has fixed height)?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 18:40:45 -0800
To: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Hi www-style,
>
> QUESTION: In a fixed-height horizontal single-line flex container with a
> stretched child, and with a percent-height grandchild inside of that
> child, should the grandchild's percent-height be honored?
>
> (tl;dr: I think it should be honored. Chrome & OperaPresto currently
> don't honor it, though.)

Were you watching the #whatwg channel?  Or is it just coincidence that
you bring this up when I answered a question for someone about this
exact issue earlier today?

Anyway, yes, it should, and the spec already says so:
<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#algo-stretch>

Transitivity of the definition of "definite" means that if the flex
container has a definite cross size, it'll transfer that definiteness
to the size of its stretched flex items, assuming it's single-line.

And yes, Flexbox explicitly calls this out in its own definition of
"definite".  (But that's really just a consequence of the general
definition.)