Re: [selectors4][css-syntax] Pseudo-elements vs. combinators

From: Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 06:06:41 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: "<www-style@w3.org>" <www-style@w3.org>

On Feb 4, 2014, at 9:46 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> How about using ^?

Works for me.

> Note that this does end up with a syntax requirement of putting a
> space after the combinator.  This isn't completely without precedent -
> the descendant combinator *is* a space - but it is slightly different
> from today's world where all the combinators are non-alphanums.

In many cases it'll be more more natural to add a space after a readable ident than to keep typing the rest of the selector e.g. using Alan's examples I wouldn't expect ^next* to work and ^childli:hover looks both dubious and unreadable. So I don't think it's outlandish to think it can be learned; would be nice to validate that with some authors though.