Re: [selectors4][css-syntax] Pseudo-elements vs. combinators

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 21:29:38 -0800
To: Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
Cc: "<www-style@w3.org>" <www-style@w3.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Wednesday 2014-02-05 03:55 +0000, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> A recurring debate in the WG - both last week in Seattle and at previous meetings - pitted new combinators vs. pseudo-elements. The former are generally deemed too cryptic as well as unsustainable: there are only so many non-alphanumeric characters left on our keyboard, yet enough of them that adding more just makes things more confusing. As a result, I have heard a few times: "We should stop adding combinators and use pseudo-elements instead".

An additional disadvantage of combinators is being unsearchable.
Try typing "css +" or "css ~" into your favorite [1] search engine.

-David

[1] I tested both Google Search and Bing, and got poor results
(i.e., equivalent to "css") on both.

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.