Re: [css-align] vertical-align:baseline

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk
> <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
>> So for horizontal inline-flex elements 'align-content:auto'
>> shall mean 'align-content:baseline' if that element has
>> vertical-align:baseline defined.
>>
>> No?
>
> No, it means what it says in the spec:
> <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-align/#content-distribution>

It's not the spec yet, right?

> # All values other than 'auto' force the block container to
> # establish a new formatting context. ... 'auto' otherwise
> # behaves as 'start'.

Forget for the second what is written in that proposal and take
a look here: http://terrainformatica.com/w3/baseline-middle-align.png

That horizontal container has align-content:center.
(Or is it justify-content in this case?)
Anyway, I mean alignment of children in vertical direction.

And as you see, for inline-block/flex elements, combination
{ align-content:center; vertical-align:baseline; }
makes no sense. Horizontal container with no baseline aligned
children simply has no baseline practically speaking. Nothing
to align to. And that was my point.

That vertical-align dualism of element-itself / element-content
only arises for inline-block/table-cell/flex/grid/table/etc. cases.
For elements out of inline contexts so for display:block/flex/etc.
vertical-align can be treated as content alignment.

And so we can avoid that alignments carnival.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com