Re: Shadow DOM: Hat and Cat -- if that's your real name.

On Feb 3, 2014, at 12:40 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com> wrote:
>> However, I would like to do this expeditiously (days, not weeks), so that
>> Blink is able to ship with the new names.
>
> To make this statement a little clearer:
>
> Chrome *will* be shipping Shadow DOM publicly (in conjunction with
> Moz) in the *very near* future.  Whatever API gets shipped will be
> frozen almost immediately.  If you want to suggest name changes, as we
> brainstormed a bit at the f2f, do so RIGHT NOW or forever hold your
> peace.

So let's see:
- This feature isn't in a mature specification
- This feature is not even in a spec draft at all afaict (couldn't find it in Shadow DOM or Selectors editor's drafts)
- No other browser ships it
- No other browser even plans to ship it soon (notwithstanding your apparently inaccurate statement about Mozilla)
- The relevant WG has disagreement over both the syntax and the semantics

And you'd like to ship it within days and freeze it almost immediately.

I find it surprising that this is considered consistent with the guidelines at <http://www.chromium.org/blink#compatibility>. Even if it somehow is, it seems to me the working group should not agree to freeze whatever syntax Chrome ships under these circumstances.

Regards,
Maciej