Re: Shadow DOM: Hat and Cat -- if that's your real name.

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 14:57:36 -0800
To: Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "dglazkov@google.com" <dglazkov@google.com>, "<www-style@w3.org>" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:
> All implementors are prone to using the 'this has already shipped'
> argument. It comes with the territory. The awkward bit - on my end, at
> least - is that it *sounds* like Google is asking the WG to commit to
> whatever resolution comes out of this discussion and not re-visit it later.

You're buying too much into Björn's "specs are reality" ideas.  ^_^

There's no implied commitment here, just the reality that whatever
syntax we choose here is likely to freeze quickly as soon as it's
shipped.  Even if we want to, it will be hard or impossible to change
in the future.

Lots of Shadow DOM can be tweaked post-shipping, and likely will for
some time as we continue to tweak things based on experience in the
wild and further input from others.  CSS syntax probably can't,
because that's how the world works.