Re: Shadow DOM: Hat and Cat -- if that's your real name.

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 23:03:54 +0100
To: "Sylvain Galineau" <galineau@adobe.com>, <robert@ocallahan.org>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Edward O'Connor" <eoconnor@apple.com>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
>> 3. …therefore, let us allow ^^ to select anything in the shadow tree.
>> I do not think we have established 3.

If some use case is what you are looking for, here are are few. Firstly if
you want to build a polyfill for an HTML element and use some CSS, you want
to select every instance of that element without knowing if that element is
or isn't in a shadow tree. The same thing may also be true for
application-wide customizations like "input[type=button] { ... }" that you
may want to transform into "input[type=button], * ^^ input[type=button] {
... }" if some components use buttons (consider things like
input[type=file]).