Re: Shadow DOM: Hat and Cat -- if that's your real name.

* Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com> wrote:
>> However, I would like to do this expeditiously (days, not weeks), so that
>> Blink is able to ship with the new names.
>
>To make this statement a little clearer:
>
>Chrome *will* be shipping Shadow DOM publicly (in conjunction with
>Moz) in the *very near* future.  Whatever API gets shipped will be
>frozen almost immediately.  If you want to suggest name changes, as we
>brainstormed a bit at the f2f, do so RIGHT NOW or forever hold your
>peace.

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. If the standards community
thinks "Shadow DOM" is ready for implementation and solicits final
comments, then there needs to be a formal Last Call Announcement, and
it should be clear that browser vendors cannot "ship" implementations
and tell reviewers their feedback is too late during the Last Call
period. Otherwise people would have no meaningful chance to review the
proposal, "W3C Working Draft 14 May 2013" does not convey one should
prioritise reviewing "Shadow DOM" over other current proposals. And we
should all always speak out against browser vendors using their market
position to force through proposals without following proper procedure.

I also note http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-shadow-dom-20130514/ does not
contain the word "combinator" and the "editor's draft" only contains it
in "ISSUE 6: Hats, ^, and Cats, ^^, selector combinators should be
defined in this section", so there isn't even a proposal that could be
reviewed by the general public to "suggest name changes" "right now".