[css-grid] Punt subgrids to level 2?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 18:20:42 -0800
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Julien Chaffraix <jchaffraix@google.com>
During the f2f, I got private feedback from Rossen that, while the IE
team understands the value of the subgrid functionality, they feel
it's too much additional complexity to gate shipping Grid on.  Waiting
for it would likely delay exposing Grid to the public for some time,
which is unfortunate.

I wanted to get feedback from Chrome's implementors as well before I
made any request, so I asked Julien Chaffraix about it today.  He
agreed completely - while the examples seem fine, the implementation
will be sufficiently difficult that it would delay shipping Grid for
several months at least, possibly more.

Given that the rest of Grid's recent changes are minor tweaks that
will require only a tiny bit of implementation work before we're ready
to ship publicly, I'd like to ask to remove the subgrid functionality
from level 1 of the spec.

I know it's currently at-risk, but I don't feel like that section of
the spec will be CR-ready before Chrome and IE are ready to ship
implementations of the rest of the spec publicly.  We should go ahead
and punt it now, rather than pretending that it'll stay through to CR
or delaying the CR of the spec due to this.