Re: Shadow DOM: Hat and Cat -- if that's your real name.

On Feb 3, 2014, at 4:17 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
>> So it sounds like the working group is not happy with the cat and hat selectors as-is.
>
> Dimitri's email wasn't a question of whether or not the WG is happy
> (the minutes are clear), but a request to get the bikeshedding done
> *right now* and decide on some better names so we can make the thing
> before we ship.  Otherwise we'll be shipping with ^ and ^^ instead.

For sure you don’t want to risk compatibility issues with other browser vendors. Therefore, I trust that Blink will follow the own guidelines, consider carefully and fully transparent if and why you would ship a feature. A feature that a WG (and some browser vendors with it) explicitly denied in its current definition. Quite likely this consideration will come to the conclusion to not ship with the feature in question enabled. This doesn’t block Shadow DOM but would just delay an (admittedly very interesting) part of the main feature.

Greetings,
Dirk