Re: [css-align][css-grid] IE's interpretation of stretch?

On 09/16/2014 01:39 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:25 AM, François REMY
> <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
>> Dear CSS Align / Grid editors,
>
> Those are the same people!
>
>> I’m currently wondering whether I’m currently facing a bug or a feature in IE’s behavior towards items stretched in undersized grid rows.
>>
>> It seems that, when an element’s intrinsic height is higher than the stretchable area, IE ignores the stretch instruction. Is that part of any spec, or is this a bug?
>>
>> [1] According to the latest CSS Align working draft, the only exception to stretch seems to be “min-height >= available size”, but IE keeps its behavior even if I set min-height to 0, so this doesn’t explain what I’m seeing.
>> [2] According to the latest CSS Align editor draft, stretching only applies when the items are smaller than the available size, so that would explain the visible behavior,
>
> Yes, 'stretch' doesn't do anything if the item is larger than the
> area, which is why IE renders the way it does.  (Button 1 is just
> visually overflowing its grid area; this happens to make it the same
> size as Button 2, due to how you set things up.)

Actually, 'stretch' doesn't do anything if the item is not auto-sized,
and it grows or shrinks the item as appropriate when it is.

(For content alignment, the stretched items can only grow, but we're
talking about item alignment here.)

We've fixed the spec now to be clear and to match Flexbox about this.

~fantasai