Re: [css-ruby] What does it mean for "ruby-position: inter-character" to force writing-mode to be vertical?

>> (4) Does this "forcing" apply to descendants of the ruby annotation?
>> e.g. if a ruby annotation has a child with "display:inline-block", is
>> that child *also* forced to have a vertical writing-mode?  (If the child
>> isn't forced: does it still get a vertical writing mode by default,
>> somehow? Presumably not through inheritance, unless the answer to (1)
>> was "yes".)
>
> Yes, IIUC. I'm not sure how rendering of Bopomofo is going to be
> implemented, but I've heard at least once before that <sup> may be
> used within <rt> for Bopomofo to position marks correctly, or <span>
> with additional styles. I hoped it's done in font features, but it may
> not have happened.
>
> Bobby, any updates?

<sup> within <rt> is used for mark native Taiwanese (Min Nan[1]). Min Nan has eight tone so they used sup for number to indicate tone.[2]

But for now, I don't see any sample mark tone this way in vertical writing.

There are several ways to mark tone for Min Nan, suppered number is one, inline unicode combination is another[3]. And Bopomofo for Min Nan[4].

Bopomofo is mainly for Mandarin.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Min_Nan
[2] https://www.dropbox.com/s/db6nbkm7obxf6ph/taiwanese_pinyin.png
[3] https://www.dropbox.com/s/1z9q5c2eoqgj7tr/minromanji.png?dl=0