Re: [css-speech][css-content][mediaqueries] Making Generated Content Accessible

On 4 December 2014 at 19:45, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

>> On Dec 4, 2014, at 1:23 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:

>>> Linear seems like a logical match for the existing media type, but it's still not mutually exclusive. For example, iOS includes a "Speak Screen" feature that effectively linearizes an iBooks EPUB (including turning the pages), but you can pause the output or change the speech speed.
>>> Perhaps:
>>>
>>> speech: none | linear | screen | linear-screen;
>>>
>>> "@media (speech: screen)" could match screen readers, zoom utils with speech, and linear-screen would match something more like the "Speak Screen" or "Speak Selected Text" features. Seems like this might not match a screen reader where speech was off temporarily or permanently (e.g. a deaf-blind user with a refreshable Braille display)
>>
>> Not sure I completely follow you. Do you mean that linear-screen is kind of like linear, except with pauses after each screen/page, as some sort of audio pagination? Could you explain a bit more the differences between the modes?
>
> linear -> "export to audiobook" (like print, except to an audio format)
> linear-screen -> "'read all' in a screen-based ebook reader" (like "Speak Screen" in iBooks)

Why are those two use cases different? From the perspective of what
gets spoken (and what I do in my application that supports these
modes) the two are identical -- that is, the CSS will affect both in
the same way for what gets sent to the audio device or file.

The only real difference that I can see is that in linear-screen you
would possibly highlight the word/sentence/phrase currently being read
and scrolling the page so that the text is always on screen.

The highlighting can be done by adding a selector/class that is used
for the currently spoken segment. When recording the audio, you just
don't apply that style.

The scolling of the text will be done by the program and would not
typically be controlled by CSS.

> screen -> "interactive navigation of the screen" (like using VoiceOver to explore around the screen in a browser)

IIUC, using speech=linear you may want to change how something is
read, like a narrator would read a book, while using speech=screen you
want to speak what is presented on screen as is. There is some overlap
-- e.g. informing both that a number is a year so it can say "nineteen
forty seven" instead of "one thousand nine hundred and forty seven" or
"one nine four seven".

Thanks,
- Reece H. Dunn