Re: [css-color] Doubts on how we handle device-cmyk() and similar things

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 22:17:28 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Before we introduce color profiles, anything
> using a color object will assume it's in the sRGB colorspace.  Putting
> a .profile attribute on it wont' do anything for the old browsers.
> This is similar to CSS - if you try and pass a colorspace argument to
> a color function, it'll be invalid.  Just like CSS, if you want to be
> robust in both worlds, you need to provide an sRGB version as well.
> (In CSS, you provide it unconditially and first; in JS you
> feature-test and provide it only if the browser doesn't support
> profiles).
>
> (At least this fails gracefully - being in the wrong colorspace just
> means your colors will be a bit off, but are still more-or-less
> correct.)

We could pick a property right now, decide what value of that property
means sRGB, and throw an exception if you get anything else. Then putting
a .profile attribute with something else than sRGB in old browsers gets
you an exception, rather than a wrong color, so that you can deal with it.

I like graceful failing in declarative things, but in JS, I'd rather get
errors thrown back at me so that I can deal with them.

  - Florian