From: Rick Byers<mailto:rbyers@chromium.org>
Sent: ý7/ý3/ý2014 6:52 AM
To: public-touchevents@w3.org<mailto:public-touchevents@w3.org>; public-pointer-events@w3.org<mailto:public-pointer-events@w3.org>; www-style@w3.org<mailto:www-style@w3.org>
Cc: Jacob Rossi<mailto:Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>
Subject: Web input brainstorming face-to-face notes

On June 23rd, a few people from the Firefox, Safari, IE and Chrome teams met at Microsoft to brainstorm<https://docs.google.com/a/chromium.org/presentation/d/16uP_ofdyXeGXpz4iR1vyi-HDczyAEIH0B3VFI_SxIYY/edit#slide=id.p> [1] about opportunities for better collaboration in improving input-related APIs (where interoperability has historically been relatively poor).

Detailed notes from the meeting and links to presentations are here<https://docs.google.com/a/chromium.org/document/d/1Bfcw9iR1SF2VYCXBegbqhbqWMim-ZEd7_iaQODE-RPY/edit#> [2].

We identified the following areas as the most promising, and have agreed to follow up in the relevant W3C lists:
Speccing mobile viewport behavior [CSSWG]
Exposing the visual viewport (eg. device-fixed) [CSSWG]
Future of touch events / pointer events [PEWG/TECG]
Hover/active rationalization [CSSWG]
Scroll response effects [FXTF/TECG]
Fractional scroll offsets [CSSWG]

If you've got questions about any specific area, rather than spam this thread please start a new thread on one of the relevant w3c lists (and feel free to cc me and Jacob).

Overall the mood was quite positive and I'm personally optimistic about the opportunities here.  Although we identified some substantial differences in philosophy, I got the impression we all felt the urgency for improving the web platform and recognized that interoperability (and hence collaboration) was essential.

Rick

[1] https://docs.google.com/a/chromium.org/presentation/d/16uP_ofdyXeGXpz4iR1vyi-HDczyAEIH0B3VFI_SxIYY/edit#slide=id.p
[2] https://docs.google.com/a/chromium.org/document/d/1Bfcw9iR1SF2VYCXBegbqhbqWMim-ZEd7_iaQODE-RPY/edit#