Re: [css-animations] Editorial: what media do animation properties apply to?

From: Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 19:55:13 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: "<www-style@w3.org>" <www-style@w3.org>

On Aug 18, 2014, at 3:31 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:
>> This issue was originally raised by dbaron [1].
>>
>> Right now, all the properties in the specification apply to the 'visual' media. That's not right since the visual media group includes print [2].
>>
>> Except for transition-property [3], css-transitions uses the 'interactive' media. I think this is better than 'visual' though it includes braille, speech or tty.
>
> Animations apply to those as well - if you're animating a speech
> property, for example, you'd want it to apply when using your speech
> reader.

Hadn't thought of that. That works.

> braille and tty are just specialized screens, and insofar as they
> respect any part of CSS, they should work fine with animations as
> well.
>
> So "interactive" should be just fine for T&A.

To the extent that braille is a writing system I'm not sure how animations are represented. Or rather, very few of them can be. I suppose that may be OK.

Any reason you can think of transition-property applies to visual while everything else applies to interactive?