Re: [css-text] Shaping Isolation and Layout Separation of Inlines

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 18:45:44 -0700 (PDT)
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: WWW International <www-international@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org
fantasai wrote:

> I think there are three classes of guidelines here, actually:
>
>    1. Must not break shaping. (No style change case. You have no excuse.)
>    2. Should not break shaping, if possible. YMMV depending on
>       implementation/font technology. Less breakage = better.
>    3. Must break shaping.
>
> And I think we should be able to give interoperable results
> on 1 and 3.

Yeah, I think this makes sense.

There may cases here where shaping shouldn't break but the final presentation may be tricky. For example, color changes within a pair of characters that form a ligature. For this situation I don't think you can say anything other than implementations make a "best effort" to display something sensible. Gecko solves the color change by coloring 1/nth of the resulting ligature formed from n characters. Sorta works sometimes but calling this a hack is certainly fair. :)

John Daggett
Mozilla Japan