Re: [css-counter-styles] Changes for upcoming LCWD

On Wednesday 2014-08-13 12:43 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> We finished up the DoC for Counter Styles:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-counter-styles/issues-lc-20130718
>
> There were a number of substantive changes since the last LCWD;
> they've been summarized in the Changes section:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-counter-styles/#changes>
>
> It's now ready to publish as a fresh LCWD.  We plan to publish next
> Thursday (Aug 21). We encourage people to review the changes and
> comment before then.

I'd somewhat like to see this spec go to CR.  We in fact resolved
for the spec to go to CR back in January [1], but it was never
published as a CR because Xidorn started raising issues resulting
from implementing it before the CR actually got published.

We're currently planning to ship the implementation in Firefox 33
(expected to ship October 14).  I can justify shipping the feature
without an official CR based on the fact that the group resolved to
take the spec to CR and the only reason it didn't go to CR was the
implementor implementing in Gecko raising issues.  However, it would
be nice to have an actual CR and not to have to do that.

Could this publication be a CR rather than an LC?

(According to [2], the new process doesn't really help since any
current LC proceeds next to CR under the old process, and from there
can proceed to CR under the new process.)

-David

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Jan/0605.html
[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2014JulSep/0048.html
    https://www.w3.org/wiki/ProcessTransition2014#When_can_groups_start_to_publish_specifications_under_the_new_Process.3F