Re: [css-color] Doubts on how we handle device-cmyk() and similar things

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Jan Tosovsky <j.tosovsky@email.cz> wrote:
> On 2014-08-08 Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> [I split this out of the JS color classes thread, as it's actually a
>> comment on how the spec handles CMYK colors in general; the CMYKColor
>> class just follows the structure of the device-cmyk() function.]
>>
>> > - toRGB() on CMYKColor and toCMYK() on RGBColor should take the same
>> > optional parameter, with the same defaults
>> > - a convertColorSpace function should be added on CMYKColor and
>> > RGBColor, so that you can do RGB to RGB or CMYK to CMYK color space
>> > conversions
>> > - come up with some definition of a ColorSpace class (or
>> RGBColorSpace
>> > and CMYKColorSpace classes), to use in the constructors and methods
>> > above
>>
>> I agree that we need to do something like this, and think that your
>> suggested approach is approximately what we'll do.  I'd like to wait
>> until we have some idea of how CSS is going to handle this in general,
>> though.
>
> Something for inspiration:
> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/awt/color/ICC_ColorSpace.html

Yeah, there's nothing that we need to invent technology-wise; greater
minds than ours have already developed the PCS and standardized how to
produce profiles.  We just need to figure out a way to work color
profiles into CSS, and then into the JS API.