Dropping pull quotes [Was: [css-figures][css-multicol][css-overflow] Ten CSS One-Liners to Replace Native Apps]

On Wed, July 23, 2014 11:51 pm, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> I've written a piece on how CSS can reproduce functionality currently
> used in native apps.
>
>   http://alistapart.com/blog/post/ten-css-one-liners-to-replace-native-apps
>
> The sample code is from CSS Figures and CSS Multicol, with a dash of
> CSS Overflow:
>
>   http://figures.spec.whatwg.org/

The article recommends putting in lots of pull quotes on the basis that
you want one per page but don't know how many pages there will be, while
dropping the 'unused' pull quotes using:

   .pullquote { float-policy: drop-tail }

If there's enough pull quotes that some are dropped, does that risk that
the pull quotes that have been used have become increasingly stale as they
get further away from the point in the text which, presumably, they quote?

To use an example, if you had a document with 40 pull quotes against the
chance that it made 40 pages but on a particular device it made four
pages, AFAICT, the four pages would use only the first four pull quotes.
For pull quotes spread evenly through the text, the body text being quoted
would all be in the first half of the first page.  Is that correct?

If, say, most of the pull quotes are actually rather unexciting and are
included just so there'd be one pull quote per page under most
circumstances but the second-last pull quote is a real attention-getter,
how could you make sure that pull quote made it onto a page?

Regards,

Tony.

Mentea       XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming