Re: [css-text] Add text-justify: inter-character back for Korean?

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 10:20:01 +0000
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>, CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
>> Both option 2 and 4 are technically possible, but to me, option 2 makes the most sense, and that option requires inter-character.
>
> I think your logic makes sense, but I think you meant "inter-ideograph"?
> "Inter-character" was an alternate name proposal for "distribute”.

Yes, “inter-ideograph”, sorry about the confusion.

> Another possibility is to use "distribute" for ideographic Korean, since
> such documents are unlikely to contain non-CJK characters. I'm not sure
> if we have reasonable behavior around punctuation for it, but that might
> be fixable.

Good point, I agree that such documents are unlikely to contain non-CJK.

The “distribute” value has a special behavior built-in for text-align-last, and that conflicts with Korean use case. We could remove it in preference to recently-added justify-all, but doing so is likely to break existing documents, so Korean documents can’t use “distribute” unless either a) we break existing documents or b) Korean should also specify "text-align-last: left”.

I have mild preference to add inter-ideograph back, but I can live with b) Korean should also specify "text-align-last: left”.

> I am also wondering if we should revive the issue of renaming 'distribute'
> to 'inter-character', since it seems to confuse everybody. :)

We could also add “inter-character” that doesn’t involve the text-align-last behavior, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to remove “distribute” for backward compatibility. It’s been implemented in IE for more than 10 years and it’s in the spec for more than 3 years.

/koji