Re: [css-text] I18N-ISSUE-335: health warnings for when language not known

Hello Richard, others,

On 2014/04/25 23:53, Richard Ishida wrote:
> On 23/04/2014 10:43, Mark Davis ☕️ wrote:
> ...> The most that should be said is something like:
>>
>> Where the language cannot be determined with a high degree of
>> confidence, language-sensitive actions should be avoided.
>
> There is another scenario where the language is specifically declared to
> be unknown or not a language, eg. lang="" or lang="zxx".  In these cases
> it seems clear that language specific behaviour should not be applied,
> but a default used instead.

For lang="", I have to differ. The original use case for lang="" was
composition of pages out of data from different sources, where some of
these sources would come with language information and some others
without. So lang="" isn't an explicit declaration that a text is in no
specific language, but just an admission of lack of knowledge.

lang='zxx' is explicitly defined as "No linguistic content", so for this
case, your argument seems to apply.

Regards,   Martin.