From: François REMY [mailto:francois.remy.dev@outlook.com]
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2014 9:30 AM
To: Oren Freiberg; CSS WG
Subject: Re: [mediaqueries4]Differentiating touchscreen+mouse from touchscreen only scenarios

My understanding of the spec is that the paragraph about the exact values being matched is not normative (no “should”, no “must”), and this behavior is therefore left to the user agent’s own discretion. That being said, there’s a notion of “primary” input device -- you do not have to report a value for all input modes, only the ones that are considered primary.

For instance, a laptop that has both a touch screen and a trackpad may report a different value in function of the way it’s currently being used. I own a Lenovo Yoga, and I expect “fine” to be returned in laptop mode and “coarse” in theater or tablet mode -- the fact I can interact using touch in laptop mode is irrelevant because this is not the primary interaction mode (which does not mean I may not use it, just that this is secondary to trackpad in most cases); but maybe this is not the case for someone else using the same device in a different way.

In the same way, a Surface Pro tablet may probably want to return “coarse” irrespective of the fact it supports a pen input device which can feature “fine” pointing, because touch is the most likely input pattern, but again some designers may have different habits.

At the end of the day, the goal of this media query is to allow websites to provide the best UI to the user, and it’s the responsibility of the user agent to report the hints that will enable web authors to have the most accurate represention of the user pointing habits. I’m not sure we can specify this in a formal way.

Note that if your goal is to align with Chrome and that you want more input from Rick, you should maybe CC him then.