Re: [css-counter-styles] interaction between 'negative' and 'pad' descriptors

On Thursday 2014-04-24 15:36 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
> Two parts of the spec say inconsistent things about the interaction
> of the 'negative' and 'pad' descriptors.
>
> I will explain both of them in terms of how they apply to the
> definition of decimal-leading-zero in
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-counter-styles/#simple-numeric , which
> has effectively:
>   pad: 2 '0';
>   negative: '-';

Oops, I forgot to actually do this explanation.

> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-counter-styles/#generate-a-counter says
> that 'pad' is applied first, and this is done by:
>   # 4. If the representation uses less symbols than specified in
>   #    the counter style’s pad descriptor, prepend symbols to the
>   #    representation as specified in the pad descriptor.

This implies that the decimal-leading-zero style for -1 is the
string "-01", which matches Chrome.

> On the other hand,
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-counter-styles/#counter-style-pad says:
>   # If the counter value is negative and the counter style is
>   # negative-capable, further reduce difference by the number of
>   # grapheme clusters in the counter style’s negative descriptor’s
>   # <symbol>(s).

This implies that the decimal-leading-zero style for -1 is the
string "-1", which matches Firefox.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,